Easy Onion Soup recipe
- 6 medium sized onions, sliced thin
- 6 tablespoon olive oil (splurge by using half oil and half bacon fat) Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 cup clear champagne (or 1/2 cup dry white wine)
- 2.5 cup beef stock (we think College Inn has the best flavor)
- .5 teaspoon French-style mustard
- 4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoon grated Gruyére cheese
- 4 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 45 minutes.
Total Time: 50 minutes.
Heat olive oil (or combination of olive oil and bacon fat) in a 2 qt casserole or larger. Add onions, salt, pepper and mustard. Brown slowly to caramelize the onions until they are a dark golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Add the flour and stir in. Continue stirring as you add the wine and stock. Let the soup simmer for 25 minutes, making sure it doesn't cook too fast and evaporate, but if this happens, just add more stock.
While soup is simmering, brush the French bread with a little olive oil and toast in the oven at 300 degrees until brown on both sides, turning once. This will take about 2 minutes per side. Mix the cheeses together. Set the bread on a baking pan or piece of tinfoil. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of the cheese mixture on each slice of bread and broil until cheese is at the desired melt. Pour equal amounts of the soup into our Bistro Bowls. Top each bowl with a piece of the toasted cheese bread. Serve immediately.